Thursday, October 16, 2014

Reprovision day

Oct 15th - Spectre Island to Big Sabine Point

As much as we did not want to, it was time to start working our way back home. The wind was supposed to abate some today so it should be a calm ride. Our next anchorage at Big Sabine Point just east of Pensacola, and was only a short 3-hour ride away. We also wanted a few things from the grocery store, and there is a Winn Dixie in Navarre Beach right off the ICW. So we could stop there on the way.

The wind was out of the north this morning, which was a good thing. We could run west on the lee shore and stay in calm water.

We were lazy and got a late start around 0900. Since it was a short distance to our next stop there was no reason to get in a hurry. So we had time to make a real breakfast, one of our favorites, Egg McMuffins. Yum!

After breakfast we pulled in the anchor. This took a while, as it had really dug in after a couple of days of high winds. All that can be done is to pull in all the chain until it is vertical and wait for the anchor to work itself out of the bottom. It is one of the things that I love about our Supermax 20 Rigid anchor. It will dig itself half way to China and hold like nothing else. It has never failed to grab as soon as it we drop it, and has never dragged. The company that makes them is up for sale... I wish I had the $$$ to purchase it. These are one of the finest anchors ever made. They are butt ugly, but are definitely SWAN (sleep well at night) anchors.

As we headed east, the wind slowly clocked around to coming out of the west, and increased in velocity. By the time we reached the Navarre Bridge, where the Winn Dixie is located, it was blowing 25-30 mph again. A serious chop had developed and the boat was bouncing around pretty good. As we pulled out of the channel to anchor by the bridge it was apparent this was not going to be a fun stop. The current was going in the opposite direction of the wind, which caused two problems. First, it made the chop worse, much more steep sided waves. Second, the boat could not decide which way to lay, as the current was pulling it in one direction, and the wind was blowing the other. The end result was it swung back and forth between both extremes. We made the decision that someone had to stay with the boat. Plus, I usually wait on shore for Paula, but the wave action would make that impossible. There is an abandoned boat ramp here that we use to get ashore, but it is concrete. With the 2-3' waves it was going to bang the dinghy up pretty good if I had to wait there.

So, the plan was for me to run Paula ashore and drop her off, then return to the boat. She would call me when she was ready for me to pick her up. We have a small, collapsible shopping cart, with wheels, that she uses for these grocery runs. It makes it easier for her. The Winn Dixie is just across the street here, so about a 1-1/2 block walk.

As we were getting into the dinghy, Paula asked if I was going to bring Duke alone. I told her no, as I did not want to have to deal with getting back aboard Microship with the boats bouncing around like they were. So I held the dink at the swim platform for Paula to board, and before I could stop him, Duke followed her. Oh, well. He can keep me company on the ride in and back. So we headed in to the boat launch. It was a wet ride, but blessedly short. As we approached the ramp I could see that I was not going to be able to pull all the way ashore, as usual. It was just too rough. I was going to have to stop a few feet short to keep the dink from pounding on the concrete ramp. Once we got close, I hopped out to walk the boat to an appropriate landing point. The lower ramp is coated with green slime, and very slippery. I maneuvered the dink over to one side of the ramp, where there was some sand and broken concrete chunks. I helped Paula out of the dink and on to dry land, and handed her the shopping cart. The Duke and I headed back out to the boat.

Sitting in the dink, and looking at the back of Microship, it was obvious the getting Duke back aboard may be a problem. But I eased up to the swim platform to give it a try. Just as I got close, a gust of wind pushed me to the starboard side, so the bow of the dink was not lined up with the boarding gate on the stern. Duke hopped off the dink, anyway, onto the swim platform. But he was not sure what to do from there. I pulled back up and called him, and he hopped back into the dink for another try. The second time around was more successful, and I was able to approach in line with the boarding gate. As the dink bumped the swim platform, Duke was out like a flash and climbed the step up through the opening in the stern. Now, it was my turn. I won't say that I was any more graceful, but I did get aboard. :)

While on the way in to drop Paula off, I noticed there was a rental boat operation a short distance away. They were almost directly across the street from Winn Dixie. They had a nice sand beach, and a pier. I wondered if they would allow us to utilize either for me to pick up Paula. I called her and suggested she return via that route and ask them if I could pick her up there. As it turns out, they were happy to allow her to come down to their beach. The pier was still under construction.

Picking Paula up from the beach was much easier that fighting the concrete ramp. I was able to pull the boat up on the sand, load the groceries and get Paula aboard, then slide off and head back out. We had some fun getting the groceries from the dink to the big boat, but it all got done. Nothing dropped in the water!

I wasted no time in getting the engines started and the anchor up. I was ready to get the heck out of there. We have stopped there before, but never in these conditions. I think we won't repeat it if the weather is like this.

From Navarre it was only about 45 minutes to our anchorage for the night, Big Sabine Point. Since we would be arriving there around 1330 I hoped there would not already be any boats anchored. As we approached, I could see that was the case. So we could anchor in our favorite spot. But, as soon as I thought that, I saw a small sailboat heading towards the same area. But I had the lead, and was anchored a good 20 minutes before he came in. Of course, he anchored only about 75' away. Just the two of us, in huge anchorage, and he drops the hook just about on top of us. Within the hour another sailboat came in, but he anchored much further away, well on the other side of first sailboat. But, they were both quiet, and caused us no issues. It was a very peaceful night.



We thought about staying here an extra day, as it one of our favorite locations. But, the weather forecast for Friday is perfect for crossing Mobile Bay. So we are going to take advantage of that. That means moving to Ingram Bayou tomorrow night to stage for our crossing Friday. This is the closest anchorage to Mobile Bay, but is still 1.5 hours away.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Still sounds like you guys are having a good time, minor issues so far, hopefully tomorrow, the "Bay" is kind to you guys! :)